House Pfau

Width at front: c. 3.7 metres

The Pfau was built around 1550 by the honeycake baker Josef Goldschmidt. The house faced the Neugasse to the south and the hospital to the north. Around 100 years later the neighbouring Goldener Pfau was split off from this house.
The builder of the house, Josef Goldschmidt-Honig, acquired right of residence in 1547. His father had come to Frankfurt from Aschaffenburg. The occupants of the house were a branch of the Goldschmidt, and took the name Honig ("honey") from the occupation of honeycake baker, which they followed for centuries.
In 1694 there were two families living in the house who sold baked goods. The sources describe one as "a baker who lodges foreigners" and the other as "selling bread". The house was destroyed in the fire of 1711 but soon rebuilt. In the period 186170 the city took it over for demolition.